Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bittersweet

So it has been a while since I have posted.  A lot has gone on since my last post.  

I believe I left you on Christmas day as I was watching 'Deal or no deal' and I predicted that he would not do well due to his low performance and low offer from the banker.  I was wrong.  He mounted a very good comeback and ended up leaving with over $250,000.  Shows how much I know about game shows.  

Moving right along, The day after Christmas, I packed up and boarded a plane to Houston, my hometown.  I lived there about 12 years ago, but if you run into me at a bar or elsewhere and you ask me where I am from, I still say that I am from Houston.  No matter where I live, I was still born and raised in the wonderful state of Texas and I will always be proud of that.  

I landed around 7pm and I got met my the closest thing I have to a brother and his dad.  I threw my 51 lb. bag in the back seat of the car and we headed to an awesome mexican restaurant.  The first thing I ordered was an ice cold Corona.  And man o man did that settle nicely.  Another mention of alcohol, as I was flying over to Houston, Southwest airlines does not take money in the cabin for drinks anymore, all they accept is plastic.  So essentially, you can start a tab in the air while you fly, and that is exactly what I did.  It was pretty awesome.  After dinner, I went back to the house and I passed out from lack of sleep.

That next day, I met a friend for lunch and went over to my Grandparents' house and got to see them and some of my family for a bit.  It has been a long time since I had seen them so I enjoyed catching up with them.  After that, I had to go back to the house and get ready for a wedding.  Not just any wedding, but the wedding I have been dreading for my entire life.  The girl getting married was a friend of mine from Houston that went to school with me for a long time, we played baseball together and lived a few blocks away from each other.  I have been in love with her since before I knew what love was.  Anyway, I had to go see her get married.  It was extremely tragic.  I almost cried but I held it together.  The Reverend was smart and did not ask anyone the typical 'If anyone here objects...' because I probably would have screamed 'DON'T DO IT!!!'  Good thing he didn't ask.  After the wedding, which was very beautiful, we went to the reception and got to catch up with all of the people that I grew up with and their families.  Some were old little league coaches, classmates and neighbors.  Some of these people I saw I haven't seen in ten plus years.  I walked around and just mingled and caught up.  After about two hours of that, I had to leave and go to another party that was a Deb ball for my friend's school.  I, of course didn't did not know a soul, which I love.  I get to meet people, make new friends and become the life of the party, which I absolutely did.  I actually got a mom tell me that I need to marry her daughter.  To the point where she made us dance together for a long time, and afterwords the mother cornered me and talked to me and spent about 30 minutes convincing me that her daughter is the one for me.  I found it very funny.  

After all of this, we went home and went to bed because we had to get up early the next morning and drive to south Texas to go deer hunting in a little town called George West.  I suggest you google its location because I am willing to bet you have no earthly idea where it is.  I spent about 4 days down there with my other family and their families.  All in all, there were about 20 of us there.  It was so much fun.  We went hunting for deer and dove, rode four wheelers and just goofed off unplugged from the world.  If you know me at all, you know how much I love being plugged into the world, but every once and a while I enjoy it.  

I shot a very nice 8 point deer.  It is pretty.  See facebook for pictures.  

Then after all of that, I headed to NOLA to watch my Crimson Tide beat up on the Utah Utes.  I was so looking forward to showing up those people saying that the SEC is over rated.  Alas, that of course did not happen.  ALABAMA GOT WORKED.  It wasn't even fair.  We came out flat, and generally didn't even care.  it was embarrassing.  I never thought that I would see the day when a Utah fan would come up to me and talk smack and be able to back it up.  

I now am back in Tuscaloosa, after a long tour over the break.  I am looking forward to relaxing and gearing up for my last semester at the Capstone.  

Bittersweet.

All for now, time for relaxation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment